Allen House, a Grade II listed building, was the first of a series of 5 purpose built orphanages all built between 1847 and 1890. Used by the City of Bristol college for decades, the building had lain empty for 12 years. The building comprises 43 apartments and townhouses.
The external façade will be restored, all the windows replaced and the roof over the central tower rebuilt to mirror the original including a 2 meter high cupola. High performance insulation was used in the external envelope resulting in twice the thermal performance when compared to ‘standard’ performance.